Susan G. Komen Southwest Florida announces funding opportunity for local breast cancer non-profits

09/30/2013

BONITA SPRINGS, Fla. (September 30, 2013) – Mary Ann Loh, Chair of the Susan G. Komen Southwest Florida Grants Committee, announced that the grant application process for Komen’s 2014-2015 Community Grants will begin on October 15th. Local non-profit organizations that provide innovative programs to reduce breast cancer mortality in the areas of screening, diagnostics, treatment, education, and support are encouraged to apply for Komen Community Grants.

As a breast cancer survivor herself, Loh is a 7-year volunteer for the local Komen affiliate. Loh proudly indicated that the current year’s “local Komen grants ranged from $11,000 to $130,000. We were able to award 10 non-profit organizations a total of $678,500.” The grants are used to provide thousands of uninsured and underinsured individuals in Charlotte, Lee, Collier, Glades, and Hendry counties with much-needed health services.
The request for grant applications will be accessible at www.komenswfl.org beginning October 15th.

Komen Southwest Florida will host a series of grant workshops for interested non-profits for the 2014 grant funding cycle. On October 22, 2013 from 8:30 a.m. to Noon a Grant Writing Workshop will be held at Hodges University, 4501 Colonial Boulevard, Fort Myers to instruct interested non-profits on the grant guidelines. Interested grantees also have the option of attending one of two classes held regarding the use of the Komen grants e-management system. The classes will be held on October 29th and November 1st from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at the Komen Southwest Florida office at 26800 S. Tamiami Trail, Suite 210, Bonita Springs. Grants are due to Komen on December 5th and award notification will occur on March 31, 2014.

Charlie Myrick, executive director of the Southwest Florida Affiliate, commented that “75 percent of the net funds raised at our local fundraising events stay within our 5-county service area. The remaining 25 percent of our net funds is designated for groundbreaking research to find the cure for breast cancer. That’s why it’s so important for the public to be engaged with our events, especially our signature Race for the Cure. We expect 6,500 walkers and runners at our next Race. The money that we raise throughout the year is critical because it determines the dollar amount allocated to our Community Grants program.” The next Race for the Cure will be held on Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Coconut Point Mall in Estero.

Eligible non-profit organizations interested in submitting an application or who need more information about the grant workshops or application process, can contact Tish Sheesley, Mission Events Director, at 239.498.0016 or tish@komenswfl.org.

About Susan G. Komen Southwest Florida
Seventy five percent of the affiliate’s net fundraising proceeds stays in the local community to provide education, screening, treatment and support; the remaining 25 percent of the net proceeds supports groundbreaking national breast cancer research programs. Since 2002, Susan G. Komen Southwest Florida has given more than $5 million in grants to local agencies in the five-county area. Susan G. Komen is the largest source of non-governmental breast cancer research in the world. Visit www.komenswfl.org or call 239.498.0016 for more information Susan G. Komen Southwest Florida.